Friday 5 June 2015

Introduction to me...

My name is Erin and at twenty two I got married. At twenty four I fell pregnant and had our first child. My husband Darren and I were so excited at the arrival of our surprise baby daughter Elsie. Labour was long but they don't call it labour for it to be four days of fun and games. We hadn't had everything planned to military precision because I had listened to stories with realism. I hadn't gone into motherhood lightly. I knew I wasn't an expert on children. I had probably only held enough children to count on one hand. But it's what you do, get married, have children and live happy ever after watching your children grow up happily and healthily....right?
WRONG! Day four after days of worrying, sleepless nights and crying  Elsie was diagnosed with something called Tracheo Oesophageal Fistula and Oesophageal Atresia.  Elsie was a child born unable to swallow and needed emergency life saving surgery.
I have decided to start this blog for people who are interested. You may know a TOF baby, parent or grandparent. You may be a TOF child. TOF effects roughly one in four thousand children but is lacking in awareness. No body knows what causes it either.  I am slowly but surely going to be adding our story onto here so people may be able to relate but also get some reassurance that if you know a TOF or are a TOF, you are not alone on what can seem like an extremely lonely and traumatic journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment